Spring Fever

It finally felt like we've broken through that winter barrier and dirt has returned to the front range. I know there is plenty more snow in our future this year, but at least now its the kind that will actually go away after a day or two. It felt really good to get in a solid week of trail running as well. Conditions aren't perfect, but seriously who am I to complain about a few patches of mud and ice!

I've continued with my early morning 15% grade treadmill hikes, my mileage is consistently higher this time of year than it ever has been before, and I finally got a legitimate long trail run, Falcon Fridays are back! This week I was able to get over 10,000 ft of vert which is the first time that's happened in quite awhile. Overall I really feel like my training has been going well. This is the first time I've stuck to a structured training plan so we'll see how it goes. I feel like I'm running better than I have been, but Quad Rock will really be the first test to see if it pays off or not. 


Its no secret that its been a struggle to balance work, life, kids, running, all of it, but I feel like I've been making progress and getting things somewhat settled. Of course now I feel like with the coming of spring also comes the spring cleaning, mostly the yard, and I'm sure I'll be falling behind again here soon. But for the moment I feel almost caught up which is where I want to be heading into the main training season. 


On the home front I've finally gotten James into private OT. After 5 months on one waiting list I finally found another good program that takes insurance and has openings! Score one for the good guys! I'm excited and I really think this will help a ton! At least I'm hopeful. Especially because James' behavior has become more challenging. I knew this was coming and I know its common with Ds, but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with. I started working with his teachers quite a bit and we've implemented some new strategies to try to make him more successful at school. He is talking a ton, using lots of 2-3 word sentences, making requests, telling you what he wants and doesn't want so its definitely an exciting time for him. Oh and he learned to jump...lord help us on that one! We pretty much have to jump every where we go now. Its cute, but makes forward progress excruciatingly slow!

Robert is growing into his own as well. Dude finally learned to roll, it wasn't something I was worried about because he was doing more advanced skills like sitting, but just funny how lazy he was! Once he realized the joy of rolling you could see the wheels spin like "oh I don't have to just lay here all the time" and he's definitely trying to move himself into new positions and is thinking about maybe crawling at some point in the maybe not near but not-to-far future. 

This week was also another low-sensory morning at the Children's Museum, which is quickly growing to one of our favorite things. This time James remembered where we were an opened up a bit quicker and Rob was able to participate in more things so it was fun watching both of them explore the exhibits in their own ways. Of course as we were getting ready to leave the museum had just opened up to the general public and I realized just how important these low sensory mornings are. I took James up to the art studio to pick up our art that had dried and coming back down he freaked out about being on the stairs with other kids. He didn't throw a tantrum or cry, just sat at the top of the stairs shaking his head furiously until no one was on them anymore...then we walked down like nothing had happened. He never would have been able to launch rockets because even on low sensory day getting to the back by the rocket launcher is a struggle with the noise. But once we got back there and were all by ourselves launching rocket after rocket he was in heaven. Had it have been crowded he would never have explored the Big Backyard or Box Canyon, he would have sat in the corner covering his ears and crying. So I am so grateful they do these days so James and others like him can explore and enjoy this amazing museum like any other kid. 

And of course in our true family fashion we left the museum, did a quick shoe change and went for a stroller run before we got home!  A successful day for all of us!










Comments

Popular Posts